Why do I need to hire a professional carpet cleaner? This is the common question for some homeowners. For so many homeowners, having to hire a professional can be a chore. It is something that gets put off and only done when it is deemed necessary. Actually, they only get their carpets cleaned when they notice staining or heavy soiling that are accruing in heavy traffic areas.
But did you know that regular cleaning prolongs the life of your carpets? Also, it improves your carpets’ performance as well?
According to most carpet manufacturers, the recommended time for you get your carpets professionally cleaned is at least every 12 to 18 months. This depends on the amount of traffic your carpets endure over this time. In fact, this could be a condition in many warranties. Therefore, be sure you read the warranty information sheets when buying new carpet.
Professional Carpet Cleaner Use Hot Water Extraction
The method of cleaning most carpet manufacturers recommend is the Hot Water Extraction. This is most commonly known as Steam Cleaning. In this method, firstly, a chemical pre-spray is used to suspend the dirt and stains in the carpet before they are flushed cleaned by injecting very hot water into the pile of the carpet. Then a cleaning wand is used in sucking the water and dirt back into the hot water extraction machine.
2 Commonly Types of Hot Water Extraction Machines
There are 2 commonly used types of hot water extraction machines. The first is a portable machine that is great for high-rise apartments and units that a truck mount cannot get reach to. However, the length of time for the carpet to dry and also the amount of water temperature they can produce is limited.
The second type of machine is known as a truck mount machine. That as its name suggests, sits in the back of a truck or van and hoses and they run into the area to be cleaned. These machines are much more powerful than a portable machine. This is because it produces hotter water for more effective cleaning and better suction capabilities that dries the carpet quicker.
Risks of DIY Carpet Cleaning
There are several risks involved in DIY carpet cleaning. Firstly, the machines that are available for hire are not to the standard the professionals use. They cannot produce high enough temperatures that professional machines produce.
Aside from that, their water extraction capabilities are also not as good leaving to a poorer cleaning result and longer drying times. Also, the chemicals typically sold to the DIYer are not to the same standard a professional carpet cleaner would use.
Stain removal is also something that a professional knows. A professional carpet cleaner has knowledge what chemicals can be used on different types of carpet, which is not something that a DIYer would know. For DIYer putting certain chemicals onto some stains, it may make the stain worse and even void the carpet warranty.
Wand technique is something that a DIYer may not be aware of and if not done correctly, may leave residue in the carpet that causes quicker re-soiling. And also, too much water left in the carpet is causing longer drying times and even browning of the carpet.
Simple Tips to Keep Your Carpet Looking Good:
- Vacuum regularly. Carpet manufacturers suggest that you vacuum at least once a week and maybe even most in high traffic areas such as entrances and hallways. Dirt particles embedded into the carpet fibres is the quickest way that carpet prematurely wears. The particles grate against the fibre, wearing the fibre out, and causing the carpet to look dull and flat.
- Take your shoes off. This stops any dirt or grime from under your shoes being transferred onto the carpet. It also prevents any grease or oil from under your shoes in staining your carpets.
- Using inside and outside mats. By using mats outside, you can brush any dirt or grime from under your shoes and therefore, prevent that dirt from entering your carpets. Inside mats give you somewhere to remove your shoes and therefore stopping dirt before it enters the carpet.
- Treat spills as soon as they happen. This may sound obvious but the quicker you can treat a spill, the less likely it is to become a permanent stain on your carpets. The longer a spill remains, the harder it is to remove. So save yourself time and effort and remove any spots as they happen.
- Don’t go barefoot. Even if your feet are clean, did you know that everybody’s feet and skin carry natural oils in them? This oil can transfer onto your carpets. It can cause an oily residue that dirt particles stick to leaving your carpets looking soiled and dirty. It is best to wear socks or indoor slippers to help prevent this from happening.
Choose the Right Colour
Choose a carpet colour that suits your lifestyle. This may sound funny but if you have small children and animals that run through your house all day long, don’t put down a light coloured carpet. If you allow eating and drinking in your carpeted areas, maybe put down a darker shade of carpet to hide any spills that may occur. A darker colour also hides any high traffic areas as well.
Along with these simple measures mentioned above, our professional carpet cleaners help keep your carpet smelling clean and fresh as well as prolonging the life of your investment.