Silverfish are a common pest found throughout Australia. In large numbers, they can cause big problems in your home, feeding on your precious photos, documents and clothing. Therefore, it is important to eradicate these pests from your home to protect your belongings. In this blog, we will look at the life cycle and behaviour of Silverfish, and ways of removing these pests from your home.
What is a Silverfish?
Silverfish are a teardrop-shaped insect. They have tiny scales and are usually white to silvery-blue in colour and measure between 12 to 20 mm in length. Silverfish are also wingless and wiggle around on their 6 legs. They have 2 large antennas on their heads and 3 prominent tails in the rear.
They grow from a larva to adult in 3 to 4 months without any visible change in appearance. An adult can live between 2 and 8 years. A female lays up to 60 eggs at a time and in favourable conditions, bread rapidly.
Diet and Behavior
Silverfish are capable of living in most climates in Australia. They prefer dark, damp areas with high humidity such as basements, subfloors, roof voids, laundries, kitchens and bathrooms. They feed on mould, fungi and foods that contain complex sugars and carbohydrates such as starch, paper, glues used in carpet and wallpaper, photographs, paintings and damp clothing often found in storage boxes, laundries and wardrobes.
Silverfish move quickly and are nocturnal. They quickly hide from light and vibrations so it can be difficult to know that you actually have a problem. In fact, you may only discover a problem when you find holes in clothing, damage to books and photos and chewed areas in boxes.
Preventing and controlling silverfish in your home
- As silverfish prefer moist/high humid areas. The use of fans, air conditioners and dehumidifiers in these areas help in the prevention of these pests.
- You should try to limit the accessibility silverfish have to items such as books, clothes, documents, papers etc. by keeping them off the floor and storing them in air sealed containers where possible. Foods should be kept in airtight containers when stored in kitchen cupboards. or in refrigerators where possible.
- Do not leave pet food out overnight. Remove leftover once your pet has finished feeding.
- Adhere to a strict hygiene regime by regular vacuuming to remove food droppings and spills, thus eliminating possible food sources for silverfish and even cockroaches.
- Fill any cracks and crevices around your home to eliminate hiding spots for not only silverfish but also cockroaches and other pests.
- Careful checking of any cardboard boxes bought into the home for possible silverfish and cockroach eggs or even adults pest help stop a re-infestation from happening.
Here at Deluxe Carpet Cleaners and Pest Control, we have had many years of experience in the safe and effective removal of silverfish and other pests from many homes through-out Brisbane. We first inspect your home for signs of an infestation, once the source is found. We only use professional chemicals and methods that eliminate these pests from your home.
All our services come with a warranty period, usually, 12 months, if the pests return in the warranted period, so do we. So call us today for a solution to all your silverfish and other pest problems. To know more of our pest control services, Click Here.
Back to Home Page.